Thursday, March 31, 2011

Final Reflection

Over the past two years I feel I have really used the CAS program to my own advantage. Given the strenuous nature of the IB Diploma, it has been really important for me to be involved in activities outside of school. This has helped me retain a certain balance in my life (albeit a little challenged at times!) as well as encouraging me to broaden my interests and develop those I already have. For the section of 'Action', I have been involved in the basketball, football and swimming SAISA (South Asian International Schools Association) competitions. Basketball and football are both sports I have not played before, so being involved in these seasons meant that I learnt a number of new skills. I learned how to position myself on a field and a court, as well as some simple ball skills. My greates acheivement was an increased consciousness of team work - I have previously been involved primarily in individual sports, so it was a great experience to be a part of so many teams. This learning curve culminated in my captaincy of the basketball team, where I tried to focus as much as possible on team cohesiveness and participation. I was also involved in the swimming SAISA, as well as a number of efforts out of season to maintain my fitness including biking and yoga. I have been rewarded for my continued efforts in Action with a more balanced outlook on life and some sanity during times of extreme IB stress. For the section of 'Creativity' I have been involved in both visual and performing arts. Throughout Grade 11 I was involved in the Wednesday activity of Pin hole photography. This was a continuation of photography classes that I took in Australia. I enjoyed exploring this media and furthering my knowledge of photographic development. I really started to understand the 'feel' of working with a pinhole camera, and the relationship between shadows, light, distance and development. There is a very careful balance you have to strike. I was also involved in two theatre productions, one in Grade 11 and one in Grade 12. While I played two very contrasting characters, this continued involvement in performance expanded my understanding of theatre. I enjoyed working with a very large cast in The Crucible, as well as learning to 'inhabit' my character. This year, in the performance of Sorry, Wrong Number, I challenged myself with a relatively major part. We worked in a much smaller group, and I discovered a number of theatre activities and workshops that really improved my presence and emotional expression on stage. My involvement in the Creative section of CAS helped me further my understanding of myself, as well as a continued and expanded knowledge of creative skills. Last, but in no way least, my involvement in Community Service. For the past two years I have been continually involved in RCCI, or the school program with the Rehabilitation Centre for the Communication Impaired. Half way through Grade 11 I became leader of this service activity, and have since then been primarily involved in planning and initiating activities with the kids. This often happened on a more spontaneous basis, and I tried as much as possible to lead by example. I really feel that this CAS activity is as much about teaching children at OSC to understand and forge relationships with children who are differntly abled as anything else. In this way, we can spread tolerance and understanding, as people are seldom afraid or critical of people that they understand. I also believe that by showing these children some compassion and concern, their interractions with the wider world will be more positive. They will have more experiences with people who are prepared to give them a chance, to approach them with the hand of friendship despite the gap that lies between them.

No comments:

Post a Comment